Let’s take a look at this plant and what I have done with it.
How to Harvest Staghorn Sumac
- Snip the cones at the base.
- On a tray (I cover mine in foil) break the berries off of the cone.
- Dry them out under a heat lamp. I actually have a dehydrator now, but I used a heat lamp the first time I did this.
- Run the berries through a coffee grinder.
I harvested my Staghorn Sumac in July. As I sit here writing up this blog post on September 20th, I see a lot of great looking cones out in our trees that are just begging to be cut and dried. You don’t want them to be brown, but a bright red.
How do you cook Staghorn Sumac
- My favorite use so far is to throw in with Flour when I bread oyster mushrooms.
- Popcorn… Staghorn Sumac adds an amazing zest to a bowl of popcorn.
- You can soak the cones in water to make a lemonade type drink.